Million Father March 2014
Men taking their children to school on the first day.
“The Million Father March is important because research has shown that when a father takes an active role in the educational and social development of a child, the child earns better grades, gets better test scores, enjoys school more, and is more likely to graduate high school and attend college.”
Million Father March Organizer, 2010
Facts about the Million Father March
- A father who actively participates in the educational and social developmental life of a child is invaluable and irreplaceable.
- Research shows that children whose fathers take active roles in their educational lives earn better grades and test scores, enjoy school more and are more likely to graduate from high school and attend college.
- Children have fewer behavior problems when fathers regularly speak and listen to them and are actively involved in their lives.
- A good father is part of a good parent team and is critical to strong family structure.
- Strong family structures produce children who are more centered, academically proficient and socially developed and are a valuable asset to their communities.
- Better parents produce better students,better schools and better communities.
- Only ten men started the Million Father March in 2004 in a church basement on the South Side of Chicago.
- Fathers, grandfathers, foster fathers, stepfathers, uncles, cousins, big brothers, significant male caregivers and friends of the family can participate in the Million Father March.
- Although this event is sponsored by Black men, women and men of all ethnicities and faiths are encouraged to take children to school on their first day.
- Marches and parades are held in many cities the weekend before the first day of school to publicize the Million Father March.
- Since 2006, incarcerated men have been encouraged to participate in the Million Father March by sending letters inviting unincarcerated men to support them by taking their children to school on the first day of school.
- 800 cities and over 1,000,000 men are expected to participate in Million Father March 2014.
- 2014 is the eleventh year for The Black Star Project’s Million Father March.